Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Surprise Visit in Gifu!

My friend Shiho and I went to Gifu (Shiho's hometown) for the long weekend. Gifu is also where our friend Nanako lives. Nanako knew Shiho was coming but I decided to go at the last minute and to make it a surprise visit for Nanako. Shiho told Nanako that her American friend was coming to visit and brought her along to the bus stop to pick up 'the friend'. It was quite a surprise to Nanako when I got off the bus! It was a beautiful weekend and I had fun hanging out with Nanako, Shiho and her family and going to Showa Mura - an outdoor museum/attraction which shows life in Japan during the Showa period (1926-1989). A new surprise for me on this trip was that there are actually bus stops on expressways! I took the bus from Tokyo to Gifu and most of the trip was on the expressway and as we got closer to Gifu I noticed a bus stop on the expressway and I couldn't figure out how the people got there. When I got to my stop, I realized that there is a door in the barrier that leads you to a road on the other side of the highway!

No comments: